St Paul Methodist
St. Paul United Methodist Church
In 1836, in a one-room house situated between Henderson Avenue and Church Street, The First United Episcopal Colored Church (St. Paul United Methodist Church) was organized in accordance with the church’s history as described by former parishioner Corine Sinclair 1879-1980. However, 1852, is the date given for the church’s beginning because it is inscribed on a cornerstone from the original structure which had been covered during renovated construction.
On August 5, 1869, the church purchased land at a cost of $300 from George Leovy for relocation of a new building that stood on Leovy Avenue facing the beach — At that time, Second Street and the railroad track were non-existent.
On October 10, 1927, church trustees J.W. Randolph, Thomas Mason, A.Y. Jones, Mannie Coe, Albert Collins, LJ Allen, William Salvant, Steve Saucier, and R.B. Miller purchased land measuring 144' x 55" in the amount of $642.50 from fellow member Walter Daniels. A new parsonage was built and stood until 1971 after being purchased by the city of Pass Christian. The main church building remained until being demolished by Hurricane Camille in 1969.
The new church site, located on Clark Street, had a small house that provided a 10' x 24' room where services were temporarily held.
A committee headed by Bidwell Barnes engaged architect John Mykolyk whose plans were submitted for construction bids. Building funds consisted of moneys derived from old property sales, a generous contribution from the Camille Fund of the General Church, donations from membership, and national and local church friends. T .L. Thompson, a local contractor, erected the building.
On Sunday, August 13, 1972, Superintendent C.E. Appleberry presided over Ground breaking ceremonies.
On December 30, 1973, Bishop Mack Stokes presided over the Consecration Services held.
On January 20, 1974, the cornerstone was laid.
On Sunday, November 9, 1975, Bishop Stokes blessed the new building.
Forty-four ministers have served the congregations of St. Paul since its inauguration over 150 years ago. As of 1999, Reverend Oliver T. McLean was pastor.