FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In 1903 or 1904, Methodist services began to meet in the Presbyterian Church situated on the beach between Lang Street and Hackett Lane. On March 1, 1905, work on the new Methodist Church building began followed by its formal organization on Sunday afternoon, May 21, 1905, with 17 charter members. The presiding Elder was T. L. Mellen and the Bishop was W. W. Duncan. Rev. James L. Sells, pastor of Long Beach Methodist Church was the first minister.
Before electric lights were installed in August 1909, the sanctuary was lighted by kerosene lamps. Bishop Eugene R. Hendrix with Presiding Elder M. L. Burton formally dedicated the church building on November 22, 1907.
During the ministry of Rev. J. L. Neil, Hurricane Camille (August 16, 17, & 18, 1969) damaged the 1905 buildings beyond satisfactory repair. This resulted in a new building located at 526 East Second Street being dedicated on December 20, 1970.
The first full-time pastor for First United Methodist Church of Pass Christian was Rev. Lucius Cowan.